Skip to main content

Visitors' Day


Shalom,

When I was a child, I often heard my grandma tell my mother she hopes she'll have naches from her children. I never actually realized what this obscure yidish word meant, until very recently.

Several weeks ago, I was sharing breakfast with a good friend, a wise man, and he told me: "soak up the time, enjoy every moment, enjoy the naches." This was in the context of Nitsan's graduation and the celebrations and ceremonies surrounding that.

I'm sharing this with all of you, because yesterday was yet another day of extreme pleasure, feeling of pride, and a lot of naches, that I soaked deeply.

I was very emotional during the dedication event, but that was just the tip of the iceberg. When I saw Gilboa's name on the new camp sign I was moved beyond words. When the mezuzzah was being set and the entire crowd was chanting the written words it was a holy moment, one which can rarely be experienced. When Yoni took all of us to the next generation, and the generation after that, it was a journey only few have the privilege to experience.

But, it goes far beyond that.
The kids, the madrichim, the site! 




Year after year, I'm awe-struck by the impact camp has on the kids. Their independence, how they come to camp shy and open up, able to talk and express their views and what's on their minds.
Their happiness, joy, real connection between the kids of all groups, the shira, the rikud, all of it!

Would one be able to achieve that without an amazing tzevet?

I really didn't want to leave camp yesterday, and in my last comment I told someone: "you don't really know what you are doing; you can't fully appreciate what an amazing place you have created and are keeping because you live in it every day; you wake up in it, you go to sleep on it. But make no mistake, what you have is unique and magical in every sense of the word."

Jewish tradition has many ways to congratulate achievements: chazak ve'ematz and yashar koach which both mean literately may you become stronger, but figuratively give you commendation on a good deed or mitzvah.

So, chazak ve'ematz and yashar koach to all !

Avi (Nitsan and Aviv's father)

For those that didn't make it to Visitors Day, and for those who did and want to be reminded of the moments, here are some of them.

Noah, Rosh Machanech, welcoming all of the parents to visitors day

Sayalim, Bonim and Chotrim sing Spendor Bridge, a song which was written many years ago AT Camp Gilboa

Bogrim and Madatz sing Lo Kala Darkenu

All the camp sing sing Shir LaShalom

Yoni talks with campers about what makes camp special for them, and how we all can share the vision of have OUR camp be the camp for the next generations (part 1, part 2)

Here are some pictures taken by David - Thank you, David !

Comments

Unknown said…
Wonderful job everybody. May many generations enjoy and experience the magic ofGilboa!
Batel said…
This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for posting and yes, it has been a very long time coming and will be there for a long time to come. Thanks to all who have made this happen.
desolation row said…
I am a second generation camper and l am overjoyed that my kids are at Gilboa. I am truly awestruck at the values and friends he is experiencing at camp.
Phyllis W said…
Thanks for the blog. Wish I could have been there!--Phyllis